Dana White has always shot down the idea that undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather and UFC champion Conor McGregor would ever meet in their much-anticipated celebrity boxing match, until now.

For months the pair have gone back and forth challenging each other and White has squashed all hopes of it ever happening after his $25 million offer was rejected.

During an appearance on ‘Conan’ on Wednesday night, however, White changed his tune and said, without hesitation, that he believes the fight will happen.

“I do. I do think it’s going to happen,” White said.

“I think it’s going to be a tough deal, there’s obviously a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher.

“On the flipside, there’s so much money involved, I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

This would be McGregors first time in a professional boxing ring and Mayweather hasn’t fought since 2015 so the encounter is highly anticipated.

Despite McGregors inexperience, White still believes it could be any man’s fight.

“It would be boxing. No kicking, no elbows, just straight up boxing, in a boxing ring with gloves and the whole deal.

“A lot of things make this fight intriguing but the reality is this — anybody who has ever seen Floyd Mayweather, he’s this big (motioning at his small size). Conor McGregor is huge,” he said.

“He’s 27 years old, he’s in the prime of his career. Floyd is 40. Floyd always had problems with southpaws, Conor is a southpaw and Conor hits hard.

“When Conor hits people, they go. Floyd’s definitely not knocking him out, that’s for sure. I’m not saying that Conor would win this boxing match but it sure makes it interesting.”

No announcements have been made regarding an official date for the fight but Mayweather announced last week that he wants the battle to go ahead in June.